VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

God or Godless?: One Atheist. One Christian. Twenty Controversial Questions.

God or Godless?: One Atheist. One Christian. Twenty Controversial Questions. - John W. Loftus, Randal Rauser God or Godless features twenty questions, ten raised by each an atheist and a Christian. Both parties then have a brief debate about the topic raised and the items raised by one another. Honestly had the format been any different it might have become entirely too tedious. However, I must note that some of the questions, or should I say the phrasing of them, were odd on the part of the Christian. For instance: Love Is A Many Splendid Thing, But Only if God Exists (the "support" for this was one of the more convoluted and stupid of the bunch) and perhaps my favorite, God is Found in the Majesty of the Hallelujah Chorus (okaaaay then). I imagine you are saying, but these are not questions! No they aren't, but they are how each "question" was put forth.

One of the more disturbing aspects of the book was the number of times the Christian (Randal) alluded to atheists having apparently GREAT potential to be serial killers. Or, well, being lumped with them at least. Because if you don't have god, then what is holding you back from murdering freely? What an incredible argument! (Except, not.) It must be noted that the majority of people that commit crimes? They believe in god, so the whole idea is incredibly indefensible, although he sure tried in his convoluted way.

Both the individuals I felt had weak arguments, but the Christian definitely had the far weaker ones. His little stories and analogies were just absolutely awful most of the time and it made his parts even more tedious to read. This debate will definitely not convert anyone to Christianity or atheism, but it did remind me not to debate this crap with religious people--I can only say "you've got to be kidding me" so many times.

P.S. Randal apparently thinks "Knock Three Times" is a CREEPY song....am I the only one that finds this absurd? How can I take someone seriously after that?