VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Wild Rose

The Wild Rose - Jennifer Donnelly 1.5 stars

*sigh* I really loved The Tea Rose and liked the follow-up, The Winter Rose. But The Wild Rose? Oy, it has many issues, many of which unfortunately are caused by its predecessors. Such as each book featuring someone first marrying the wrong person (or almost doing so), but have no fear! There WILL be a HEA! And the HEA will come after a number of far-fetched, sometimes absolutely absurd, events happen to both the main character and their love interest. You can only suspend belief for so much and unfortunately the predecessors had already taken up all my tolerance for suspension. What hindered this book further were the background inclusions from the previous two books which just makes the entire series sound absolutely absurd, honestly I was doubting my five star rating for The Tea Rose.

The Wild Rose is predictable with characters that need to just say/do what they think/feel instead of screwing up all the time. And it is impossible to truly enjoy a book when there is a predictable quality AND you know there will definitely be a HEA. I enjoyed the setting around WWI, but it could not compensate for the unlikely nature of everything else.

I didn't mind the characters of Seamie or Willa (many reviewers seem to dislike the two, or at least Willa), although they were the ones that just needed to DO what they felt instead of doubting, I had more of an issue with Jennie and Max. I absolutely abhor storylines where a woman tries to keep a man through deceitful means, such as a fake pregnancy. Jennie could have been a good, sympathetic character but she completely lost me with her lies. Why would you want to keep a man that only stays because of a child? What crap. And Max was one of those unlikely characters--German explorer climbing mountains to this elaborate spy. Nope, not buying it.

I wanted to love The Wild Rose, but it simply suffered from accumulating flaws from its predecessors and the general predictable and cliche nature of it.