VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything - Stephen J. Dubner, Steven D. Levitt 1.5 stars

Going into this book I thought it was going to be more interesting than it turned out to be. I would have liked it to have been more straightforward rather than taking paragraphs to simply state one thing, it became quite tedious. The subjects and therefore the chapters felt like they overstayed their welcome in large part and I would have liked to have seen a greater variety of subjects rather than a few.

Overall I did not care for tone of book, the vibe the authors gave off was a bit of one of superiority and I disliked how a large part of the book felt like an examination of black individuals especially…at times it felt racist if I’m being honest. And the author(s) state that “Experts use their informational advantage to serve their own agenda" and I most definitely believe they did this very thing and I found it quite irritating. This was conveyed in a number of ways, one in which studies were cited to back up their conclusion but nothing of the substance of the study was discussed leaving me questioning even if I agreed with their conclusion overall.

Another way in which the authors lost my support was when they were comparing gun issues in the U.S. with Switzerland. Every male of age in Switzerland is issued a rifle and their low crime was used as a poor comparison the U.S. issue—hand guns and more recently automatic weapons have been the issue here, not rifles. I'm fairly confident that the very nature of rifles would make violence with guns in this country more difficult or less likely as well.

Most interesting to me was the abortion legalization lowering crime rates decades later due to less disadvantaged teens turning to violence because, well, they weren't born. The history of Romania between 1966 and 1989 I found interesting and would like to read more about (they previously had legalized abortion and then the dictator outlawed it and everything went to hell for this reason and many others, namely he was a disgusting person.)

I felt the following quotes to be unfortunately true in society:

Kenneth Galbraith stated: “We associate truth with convenience, with what most closely accords with self-interest and personal well-being or promises best to avoid awkward effort or unwelcome dislocation of life. We also find highly acceptable what contributes most to self-esteem.”

**I think this is strikingly made clear whenever I deal with individuals who question my veganism or environmentalism and such. I especially love the individuals that "love" animals but eat them, I think this quote rather sums up why they continue to so quite well.

“So the conventional wisdom in Galbraith’s view must be simple, convenient, comfortable, and comforting—though not necessarily true.” P79

This is depressing but true. *sigh* THINK, people, THINK on your own dammit and stop needing to be comforted.