VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Matthew Quick Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is about a guy who on his 18th birthday brings a gun to school to kill his former best friend and himself. Obviously this is not a happy go lucky tale, but surprisingly it does have hope and even humor in it. Leonard oddly enough is a likeable character and you can't help but wish the best for him. I've known Leonard Peacocks in high school and seeing their tale written in this way really affected me, what if those individuals have brought a gun to school leading to who-knows-what or had committed suicide? It almost makes me want to go back and apologize for not being more "there" for individuals, but being a teenager is difficult and hindsight is 20/20.

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is written well and I loved the use of footnotes (for some reason I love the use of them in fictional novels). The letters from the future were a bit odd, but I think they would help a person in a situation like Leonard's. I also enjoyed Leonard's opinion and comments on religion, quite entertaining although perhaps not for someone with religious leanings.

Despite the sadness, there were also some bright spots, such as Leonard's teacher Herr Silverman (as he refers to him). Silverman is what I think all good teachers strive to be and what all teachers should be but often are not.

Overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to those willing to explore a desperate, sad teenager's mind. I will say this, it could very well leave you more alert and willing to help those you see in need of some hope.