VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind - Lucia Graves, Carlos Ruiz Zafón Yet again I am left baffled by the masses. My one star rating puts me with the 1.5 percent of reviewers thus far who hated the book. This is not uncommon to me but it certainly makes me distrust the masses all the more.

First of all, I don't know what Zafon is trying to prove. His writing is overwrought and superfluous. Why does he feel the need to make it so terribly bogged down with descriptions that seem to be found in the thesaurus? I described this book as having superfluous verbosity in an update, a phrase that would feel at home in this overdone novel.

Despite not enjoying the writing I pushed on. Underneath the pretentious writing I thought perhaps there was a decent story or mystery to be had. After all I was intrigued by the premise, in fact it sounded like something I would potentially really like. And after all of those glowing reviews, what could possibly go wrong? HA, so very much.

There are two main reasons I stopped reading this book to preserve my sanity: crudeness and misogyny. I may have even been able to overlook the ridiculous crudeness but not with the misogyny thrown on top (I mean I was already having to ignore the pretentious writing style, I can only ignore so much). Fart jokes....or what I guess were supposed to be fart jokes? I admit I hate fart jokes, I don't think they are funny, they are simply juvenile. But I dare say fart jokes would have been better than whatever this was:

p92 "Like a rancid fart, from a councilman or a lawyer." Um, okay?

p106 "Television, my dear Daniel, is the Antichrist, and I can assure you that after only three or four generations, people will no longer even know how to fart on their own and humans will return to living in caves..."

So there is a direct correlation between being able to fart on your own and living in caves? And someone needs to alert this guy to how the whole farting thing works.

AND my favorite of all! Misogyny!

p90 "You don't know what life is until you undress a woman the first time. A button at a time, like peeling a hot sweet potato on a winter's night."

See, I don't know if I'm more perplexed or angered by this. A sweet potato? You have the ability to compare a woman to ANYTHING and you choose a sweet potato? Good fucking crap. Look at it folks, that is what makes a 5 star book apparently.

p114 "He beat her, you know? You always heard screams coming from their apartment, and more than once the police had to come around. I can understand that sometimes a husband has to beat his wife to get her to respect him, I'm not saying they shouldn't; there's a lot of tarts about, and young girls are not brought up the way they used to be."

What The Fuck. For some crazy reason I just cannot get on board with a book that contains this drivel, especially for seemingly no point.

There are far too many good books out there to be discovered to waste my time on this pretentious piece of crap that shows utter disregard to the female gender (and my sanity).