VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams I found the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy absurdly entertaining. Generally one would think absurd would be a bad thing but Adams' imagination spews forth absurd on an entirely different level. I think had there been less absurdity the story would have felt, well, like it was missing something.

I came away from the story almost hoping that some of the curious things in Adams' story were true. The universe he created is wacky in every way. I especially loved how the planet Earth was just one large experiment for the supreme species on the planet: mice. Awesome! Humans ranked third in the scheme of intelligence in Adams' story, which I loved, although I think the ranking was far too high (although MAYBE that was more accurate in 1979).

I never knew where the crazy story was going to go next but I enjoyed the trip. The characters were great, I especially loved Marvin the depressed robot but all the characters really came to life (even the computer). I credit this largely to the reading by Stephen Fry as he did an excellent job reading in the audiobook, but I look forward to re-reading the physical book to see who jumps off the page. The little tidbits Adams' includes, from the humor to the doors that are "happy" to open and close and on and on, really made the story the classic that it has become.