VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy

The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy - Jo Marchant 4.5 stars

The Shadow King is a very engrossing tale about King Tut's mummy, but it is more than that as well. Marchant includes more figures of Ancient Egypt rather than just sticking to King Tut (relations, other interesting figures' mummies etc.) and features prominent egyptologists over the last 100 or so years as well. The book mashes together Ancient Egypt, historical intrigue and biology (including a good amount of genetics and autopsies). Since I wanted to be an egyptologist as a child and as an adult have a degree in biology, I can honestly say this book combined two of my favorite things. I was never a big fan of King Tut, I'm a Cleopatra girl myself, but I can understand the allure. But after reading The Shadow King I look forward to reading further books on the subject of King Tut and thankfully Marchant has armed me with all of the nonsensical conclusions and the potentially true conclusions about who King Tut was and how he met his ultimate demise (which, *spoiler*, no one still knows for sure and we probably never will, which is sad honestly). The Shadow King reads rather smoothly and entertainingly for a non-fiction book and if you love Ancient Egypt you might want to give this one a go.