VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint

The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint - Ph.D. Marc Bekoff In The Animal Manifesto, Bekoff explores reasons both scientific and emotional for why animals should be treated differently by society. As one who has been a long-time vegan and knowledgeable in the arena of non-human animal treatment around the world, this book really offered me nothing new. "Preaching to the choir" is pretty much the situation here. However, I do feel as though this may be a decent introduction for some, although I have no doubt maybe people would be turned off by Bekoff's sympathetic style. I myself disagree with some of his opinions which lean towards or are straight out welfare variety standards for animals. ("Welfare" changes do not remove animals from the situations, they simply make the situations less negative to some degree.) The portion on factory farming and meat eating was weak and offered about the same approach as "Meatless Mondays" do, which is to say it doesn't do much for the billions of animals dying each year for people's palates. Bekoff takes a weak stance on situations here or there, but overall I think his heart is in the right place. Even if Bekoff feels more strongly against the issues at hand, I think he would likely fear it would turn people away from reading the book altogether.