VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

In the Shadow of Blackbirds

In the Shadow of Blackbirds - Cat Winters I love this book! In the Shadow of Blackbirds tells the tale of Mary during the time of WWI and the Spanish Flu of 1918. Mary loses the love of her young life to WWI and she becomes haunted by him. She strives to not only survive during these turbulent times but to discover why the ghost of her sweetheart is so tormented after death.

Mary is a wonderful character. She is intelligent, mature, loves science (yay!) and is extremely well-written. The writing overall was wonderful, I really felt the chaos and heartache involved in living through WWI and the Spanish Flu. There were a few times that Winters' writing nearly evoked tears from the hard-to-cry girl that I am. Overall I would not say that this is an uplifting or happy tale, how can it be considering the setting? But it is absolutely enthralling and I enjoyed every minute of it. The only issue I had with this book? Going online and discovering it was not the first in a series but a standalone!

In the Shadow of Blackbirds is thus far my favorite of 2013 and one of my favorites overall. I will definitely be reading more from Cat Winters.