VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (Carolrhoda Ya)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories - Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, Tessa Gratton This was a really enjoyable anthology from the Merry Fates. Overall the additions by the authors were entertaining, such as the notes on the margins of the stories, the intros and various drawings. I thought they really added to the fun of the stories. There are too many to detail individually so I will simply note those that were my favorites. Overwhelmingly my favorites tended toward Maggie Stiefvater, she really made the anthology good.

Maggie Stiefvater

A Murder of Gods-- 4.5/5 stars I loved the characters and powers of the characters in this one. I think it would make a great novel.

A History of Love-- 4.5/5 stars Again I loved the characters and how the focus was actually the "background" relationship rather than the clear one. Emma and Andy were fun.

Deadlier of the Species-- 4/5 stars The premise of the world was great, it would make a really interesting novel. The "zombies" were a twist on the typical kind.

Rain Maker-- 4/5 stars I really liked the premise of this one, it has rained and rained only for it to suddenly stop and water to become a major commodity. The main character, genius Dominic, was likable and entertaining.

Heart-Shaped Box-- 4/5 stars I thought this was an entertaining, albeit sad, story. You can really see how the one character in this one made it into the Shiver series (he's pretty clearly that character).

Tessa Gratton

The Vampire Box-- 4.5/5 stars This was definitely a contender for my favorite story in the anthology. I would love to see this one made into a full-length novel. The concept of a vampire in the basement that may be the girl's friend or foe was compelling. I really did not want it to end when it did!

Date With a Dragon Slayer-- 3.5/5 stars This was an interesting story about a guy who slays dragons and a girl who wins a date with him. While I hate the idea of slaying dragons (even if they are fictitious I still hate the idea of their deaths), the story was still entertaining. The open-ended ending really left you to your own imagination, although I would like a clear-cut answer.

Dumb Supper-- 3.5/5 stars This was an interesting story about a woman who has a supper with ghosts. I thought it was compelling and would make a good novel.

Brenna Yovanoff

Scheherazade-- 4/5 stars This was an interesting story and the twist really makes the story fun.

The Bone-Tender-- 3.5/5 stars I really liked the main character in this one as he heals animals and people who are injured. I hated the bully, obviously, as he was evil and I liked the main character's decision in the end.

Neighbors-- 3.5/5 stars This was a story about a ghost who doesn't know she is a ghost (or at least doesn't want to admit it). I thought the story was entertaining and ultimately sad.