VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor I added this book to my to-read shelf on a whim and subsequently put it on hold at a local library. I have not had great luck with angel/demon stories so I was not expecting to fall in love with the story. But I figured a woman with bright pink hair probably had the best chance of any at coming up with a wild and intriguing story. Thankfully I was not disappointed and was I ever right about the pink hair magic! Unfortunately, the library had other holds and the holidays created a chaos which made me unable to continue the story. Ah!

That is until I decided to dish out $10 on a kindle edition of the book, which I do not regret one bit. This story engulfs you, mesmerizes you and does not want to let you go. The writing has a charming, poetic way to it and you want to savor every word...but at the same time rush forth to find out what is going to happen. This world that Taylor has created of angels and demons (and humans) is vast, intriguing and I just wanted to stay there for as long as possible. In no way is this a story about angels and demons that you would think of in terms of religious stories, both sides are nasty and warring and no holds barred. Except, of course, for the glimmering hope that is Karou and Akiva.

It would not be fair to the story to try to summarize it, so I will simply say that it is magical. I loved the characters, the love which reverberated off the page, the amazing world building and the main setting of Prague. Taylor could have chosen ANY locale for the life of Karou, but she chose Prague and it fits perfectly.

Taylor weaves a wonderful story and while I cannot see how she could ever top Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I greatly look forward to the second installment of the series. The ending of this one was a cliffhanger that left me a bit distressed, but even after only one book I have faith that Taylor will not disappoint.