VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

When You Reach Me (Yearling Newbery)

When You Reach Me  - Rebecca Stead When You Reach Me is about a young, intelligent girl named Miranda who suddenly begins receiving mysterious notes. The notes allude to things that someone should not know and the writer of the notes is unknown. Miranda is also dealing with her mother's game show desires, friends that act erratically and other issues of a young girl.

I was surprised that I enjoyed the book as much as I did because Miranda adores (and the story is a bit of an honor to) Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time," which I, quite frankly, could not stand. Thankfully Miranda's voice is mature and wise beyond her years and she even managed to make the book I didn't like sound enticing.

I really found the character of Marcus compelling, as well as the "laughing man", a seemingly homeless crazy guy near Miranda's building. The mystery unfolds in an easy and welcoming way and I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery aspect as well as the time travel discussions within the story.

When You Reach Me is a really sweet story which has surprising depth and breadth despite it's small size, much like Miranda. I look forward to Stead's other works.