VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson)

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson #2) - Darynda Jones This book was one of the funniest I have read in a very long time. I love Charley's humor and the subsequent reactions others have to her. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter tend to correspond to what happens in the chapter along with being hilarious. Some gems include:

“I stop fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now. T-shirt”

“NEVER BE AFRAID TO DART AROUND IN PUBLIC, HUMMING THE MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THEME SONG. —T-SHIRT”

"where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Charley herself says a lot of laugh out loud funny things herself. You just never knew what she was going to say/think next. But the book is not just humorous, it has a thorough mystery involved as well. Specifically one involving Reyes, a very alluring character who happens to be the son of Satan. Aside from the many mysteries that surround Reyes, there are also PI-related mysteries to solve in the Charley style. There is also family drama, genuine emotions, you name it. Jones manages to mix all of these elements superbly.

I was a bit taken aback by the decision Charley made near the end of the book but it left me completely intrigued as to how it will shape book three. I anxiously await book three!