VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - Lish McBride Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is an entertaining read. McBride mixed humor and a dark tone well and her characters were rather memorable. The friendships between Sam, Ramon, Brooke and Frank was well done and felt realistic and endearing. Humor was handled well, although I would liked to have seen slightly more as I felt there were some dry spells, and the humor was mixed with the darker and more raw scenes well. The chapter titles, of which the title of the book is one, were quirky and fun. I've been trying NOT to have Tiny Dancer stuck in my head due to the title.

Despite seemingly being really creepy and disturbing, the condition which Brooke becomes "subjected" to was entertaining and oddly began feeling normal. The little touches, like using a bowling bag to take Brooke places, were great. I also loved that McBride chose to make Sam a vegetarian, a committed one too unlike many others I have read about. Sam's worried response to potentially having to kill another being to get blood for being a necromancer felt sincere and endeared me to his character.

The only problem I had with the book was within the first 100 pages or so when there were many subplots added to the story and jumping back and forth between first and third person. Sam's parts were by far the most entertaining in my opinion and I felt staying with his character the entire way would have had nearly the same result in terms of information. The switching around from first to third was slightly distracting and often left me wondering when we could get back to Sam's POV. The voice used in first person was more likeable and enjoyable in my opinion. After the first 100 pages the story flows more readily as the background material was handled and we could get down to the main plot.

I look forward to reading the second in the series and see where Sam's life as a necromancer takes him. The condition of Ramon is also left up in the air and I am intrigued to learn more about him. Plus there is ample opportunity for storylines involving the werewolves. All in all the second book has a lot of potential.