VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi I borrowed this book from the library months ago and then returned it without reading more than a few pages. But I figured I'd give it another shot when I saw it available at the library via e-book. Well I totally regret that decision now! This book was ridiculously bad, the writing style was quite simply NOT FOR ME. But is it really for anyone? I guess, the rating is over 4.0 here on Goodreads (baffling really).

This book has enough freakin' metaphors to keep a few thousand books in stock for the proper metaphor to page ratio. Not only is there a metaphor or simile every other sentence (sometimes more) but many of them make absolutely NO SENSE. Some others are borderline logical if you want to think about them for 10 times longer than you should have to per sentence.

The strikeouts. Oh good gods they were freakin' terrible!! I thought they had potential to be interesting and quirky but trust me they are not. They are distracting and annoying. Some of the strikeouts don't even make any sense! Such as one from the first page: "We hope you rot to death in this place For good behavior." Yes, it was written just like that. WTF is "We For good behavior"?? Other times she repeats words in a sentence without striking them out, like she forgot maybe? We really don't need to read "sound sound sound", I think we got the gist with just the first "sound". Then there was an entire page dedicated to strikeouts of one phrase over and over: "I am not insane". Yeah, I hate to break it to you but you kinda are. No, not "kinda", truly deeply disturbed is what you are.

The dystopian aspect to the book is a joke since it is entirely background and does not really add much to the story. The story, it turns out, is really just about the characters' instalove. Vomit worthy really.

I absolutely could not stand the writing style, never came to like any of the characters (especially not Juliette who is a complete joke, entirely too weak and insane to tolerate) and the world lacked any depth to make the story interesting.

Some examples of the horrific writing in the book follow. I wish I was making this shit up! (I guess I'd have a book deal then eh? They'll give them to anyone these days!)

"I always wonder about raindrops.
I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors."

WTF?!?!

"I'd like to cry into his eyes."

That sounds wonderfully....insane.

"His lips are pressed against my neck and my hands are on a journey down his upper body and I'm wondering why there are so many freight trains in my heart, why his chest is a broken harmonica."

So you're going to have a heart attack and he is wheezing like he needs an inhaler? Very romantic. Such a turn-on.

"I hate the lackadaisical ennui of a sun too preoccupied with itself to notice the infinite hours we spend in its presence."

I've always said the sun was a fucking egotistical self-absorbed bastard, I'm glad I'm not alone!! But seriously, who the hell would even think this of the sun? Or use it to describe it?!?!