VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 3)

City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 3) - Stacia Kane I never expected to like this series as much as I do. Stacia Kane has managed to take a drug addicted lead character, a so-called ugly thug male love interest and a dark, gritty and disturbing world and turn it into awesome reading. This series is nothing if not addicting, in a purely healthy way of course.

There is so much turmoil in City of Ghosts, especially between Chess and Terrible. That struggle was written so realistically well and left me hurting for both of the characters. I rather felt Terrible was extremely hard on Chess in this novel. Not that Chess did not deserve it but it was so frustrating to not have Terrible bother to even listen to Chess explain. I wanted to get into the book and throttle him myself! But on the other hand, doesn't Chess deserve it? Chess had to work for forgiveness and despite how frustrating it can be, it was realistic and well done.

Chess is also conflicted at work, as usual, and this time she has an oath she cannot break without considerable pain and potential death. The mystery in City of Ghosts is rather twisted and complicated and leaves you wondering WTF is going on at times, just like Chess. Kane creates really great, complex characters. The good guys aren't clear cut and either are the bad ones. Kane deserves a lot of credit for taking a drug addicted witch and making her so that you not only want to scream at her to sober up but also root for her even at her status quo. Not only that, but to hope the drug lord's enforcer finally forgives her so she can have some happiness in her life. Sounds screwed up right? It totally is but somehow enthralling and absorbing at the same time.

I can't wait for the next installment!