VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Rebecca

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier In Rebecca we follow a nameless narrator, at least nameless in the sense that she is known as nothing but Mrs. de Winter (the second). While I found the lack of a name annoying I think it fit the narrator well as she clearly does not come into her own until well into the novel, if even then. The narrator lives entirely too much in her own imagination and creates the world around her, causing great misinterpretations. We have to endure many moments of "interactions" in her head which never happen (as far as we know). They are all based on her insecurity. She interprets everyone's actions, although we are given them to judge for ourselves generally as well. As an outsider we are able to see what she is missing (such as foreshadowing with the interactions with Ben, how Max's brooding moments could mean something else entirely). I must say, I wanted to slap the narrator around quite a bit and tell her to grow a pair. I suppose such a suggestion would not have worked in those days though.

Rebecca is the dead wife of Max and while she is never alive she is certainly a major character in the book. An invasive, frustrating character which appears well-loved by everyone (and who likes THAT kind of person really?). My feelings regarding both Max and nameless narrator vacillated greatly through the book. Feel sorry for them? Want to slap them? Want to scream at them to just communicate? Yes, yes and yes.

I was a bit disappointed by the ending as I figured out the big reveal, but it was still an entertaining read. The writing style was soothing in a way but it was overly descriptive in parts. At times it seemed flowers were another character in the book they were so often mentioned. I would disagree with this book being a romantic suspense as I failed to see the romance.