VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

The World of Juba II and Kleopatra Selene: Royal Scholarship on Rome's African Frontier (Routledge Classical Monographs) - Duane W. Roller The number one question I have regarding this book is: Why the hell does it cost $130? Seriously?

As for the book itself, I found it rather tedious to read. No I was not expecting a novel but Roller's style is exhausting. If I had a tendency to fall asleep while reading I would have been knocked out. Clearly there is not a great deal of information left of Juba II or Kleopatra Selene so a large portion of the book is left with Roller surmising events (such as deaths of Selene's brothers, tutors etc.). Roller also spent a great deal of time discussing events decades or centuries before Juba II, which I suppose is the "World of Juba II" but I felt the focus should have been greater on Juba II and Kleopatra Selene. As for Kleopatra Selene, very little is known of her life with Juba II and that is made clear as very little time is spent on Selene throughout the book. Overall, the book is decent for a tidbit here or there but overall it will not leave you knowing terribly much about those implied in the title. The most interesting portion for me was Juba II's writings regarding elephants, as he appeared to have been fascinated with the great beings.

Also, why are Roller's photos featured in the book? Some of the photos were simply awful. The photo of the Canary Islands appeared to be simply varying degrees of gray with no islands or anything else in sight, very enlightening.