VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt

Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt - Zahi A. Hawass, Franck Goddio First off, the photos of the findings in the Alexandria region thus far are beautiful. The statues are what one would expect to find in the region, and the jewelry found is profoundly similar to today's. The small essays on the Ptolemies, the region and Cleopatra herself were informative on an introductory scale. Overall, the book was beautiful and I only hope to be able to see many of the pieces in person. Note to National Geographic: I sincerely hope you come to Denver, as I do not think it is any less a hotbed of attraction for Cleopatra than Cincinnati.

I did feel there were some issues with the book, namely the book claiming to be about the world of Cleopatra. Yes, the drive behind the findings is to find the tomb of Cleopatra and Mark Antony (which will thrill me to no end when they do), but the artifacts they exhibited in the book were mostly in the Roman time period (years or centuries after Cleopatra was even alive). Plus anything they have found which has a central connection to Cleopatra was not included in the book--the one statue they state may have been a bust of Cleopatra (of which it would be the only one remaining) was not even included in the book. I would love an explanation for that one! So while the book barely contained anything to do with Cleopatra, aside from some of the essays, I did enjoy the beauty of the book. I only hope they do discover the tombs (hopefully soon) and I greatly look forward to the puzzle pieces of information we can attain from such a massive find!