VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Losing Julia

Losing Julia - Jonathan   Hull This book was completely absorbing and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The intertwining of the different stages of Patrick Delaney's life was well done and very convincing. The writing style allowed you to actually be able to sympathize, even empathize, with the emotions the characters were going through. The book was definitely one to pull at the heart strings.

I was surprised that the heaviness of the WWI inclusion did not bother me more as I generally avoid such movies and books. However, it was written with no sugarcoating and with bare emotions--and ended up completely sucking me in. For some reason I kept picturing Saving Private Ryan, even though it was the wrong World War.

I preferred the old Patrick Delaney--his humor and insights were both entertaining and thought provoking. I may never see a person in this stage of their life the same again. I found his own quote to be fitting for his character: "I am, essentially, a horny eighteen-year-old trapped in the carcass of an Egyptian mummy."

I think a fitting summary of the book comes on page 111:

"Well, after all these years, after everything you've seen, do you still think life is a tragedy?

Oh yes, Julia, I do. But there are some very funny moments."

There were quite a few poignant quotes about love, but this was one of my favorites:

"The magic of love is not that it contains all the answers, it's that it eliminates the need for so many pressing questions."

The relationship between Patrick and Julia is definitely memorable and nothing short of heartbreaking.

All I can say is that the book rings very true--like Hull had lived this life and put it down on paper, or found Delaney's journal and turned it into a novel. Not many books feel as authentic as Losing Julia did to me.