VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Kid Me Not: An Anthology by Child-Free Women of the '60s Now in Their 60s

Kid Me Not: An Anthology by Child-Free Women of the '60s Now in Their 60s - Aralyn Hughes I found Kid Me Not very interesting being a person who does not, and never has, wanted children of the non-furry variety. These women all spent formative years in the 60s and they have all chosen to forego having children. You almost never hear from women who have chosen not to have children, nonetheless many years after they would even be able to still do so if they chose, at least physically. I've never doubted my lack of interest in childbearing, but it was nice to listen to those that have felt the same and see how their lives turned out. I must say, most of the women who chosen to forego children appear to have lived happy, fulfilling lives with travel and such. Despite many difficult moments these women faced, I was struck by their overall happiness levels and their youthfulness.

"No woman can call herself free who does not own and control her body. No woman can call herself free until she can choose consciously whether she will or will not be a mother." --Margaret Sanger--

"On my honeymoon night, a shy and embarrassed virgin, I tried to figure out where my husband's arms and legs, as well as my own, were supposed to go. Sylvia Plath's descriptive line from The Bell Jar, comparing a penis to "turkey necks and turkey gizzards" popped to mind. I silently asked myself, "For this I waited?" LOL

"A friend once told me that the Chinese believe those who choose not to have children are old souls who see no need to procreate since that was accomplished in their other lives." I don't know if this is true in China, but I wish women who didn't want children weren't so scorned here in the US.

"Or maybe it's just that when Mother Nature was passing out maternal instinct, I had stepped out of line to go to the bathroom." I think I was in the bathroom line as well, unless nonhumans are involved.

"Women may be the one group that grows more radical with age." --Gloria Steinem--