VeganCleopatra

VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Romancing the Duke

Romancing the Duke - Tessa Dare After a great deal of terrible books I apprehensively picked up Romancing the Duke. I'm not the biggest fan of the romance genre, most books in it simply trigger my eyerolling or gag reflex. So I can honestly say that I was as surprised as anyone by how much I enjoyed Romancing the Duke, a romance (but luckily not the kind with a terribly ridiculous cover).

What made this book for me was the terribly amusing banter between Izzy and Ransom. All books need a character or two with comments such as these, banter really could lift any book a notch or two in my opinion. I loved that the relationship between Izzy and Ransom grew, there were no throbbing members every other page or lust so strong that it interfered with logical character and relationship growth. Izzy was also a likable, strong character with a mind and opinions of her own. Ransom, despite his hard shell was also a very likable character and you could understand Izzy's attraction.

While you pretty much know how a book such as this will end, I was still satisfied with the way Dare chose to progress the plot and I especially loved the character-character interactions. I must say I laughed out loud many times and smiled often.

I was happily surprised by the entertainment value in Romancing the Duke and if the witty banter is present in other novels by Dare, I will be reading those as well.

"Astonishing. In the morning, when she sat working at that table of correspondence, silhouetted by sunlight . . .

Her hair truly did look like an octopus.

It was the way she wore it, he thought. Or maybe the way it wore her. It all sat perched atop her head in that big, inky blob. And no matter how strenuously she pinned it, dark, heavy curls worked loose on all sides, like tentacles.

Of course, it was an entrancing, strangely erotic octopus. Ransom worried this might be how fetishes developed."

*****
"It's true. Every time you wake up, you let fly the most marvelous string of curses. It's never the same twice, do you know that? It's so intriguing. You're like a rooster that crows blasphemy."

*****
"She poked around, making busy clanging noises. “I don’t suppose there are eggs? If I do say it myself, I make a very good pancake.”
Oh, no. This just grew worse and worse.
I make a very good pancake.
Appalling.
What was even more appalling was that Ransom found himself suddenly hungry for a very good pancake. Starving. Ravenous. Damn it, he was faint with yearning for a very good pancake."