VeganCleopatra

Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
Jules Howard

Roomies

Roomies - Sara Zarr, Tara Altebrando 1.5 stars

Going into Roomies I expected a book along the lines of [b:Sloppy Firsts|138202|Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1)|Megan McCafferty|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320531275s/138202.jpg|2975988] or [b:The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver|301022|The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)|E. Lockhart|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1342343845s/301022.jpg|292089]. Unfortunately I didn't get anything like those books. Instead Roomies was angst-filled (of the annoying, non-comical variety) and in the end felt rather pointless. Actually, in the end there wasn't even a decent ending, so it furthered my annoyance.

The only reason Roomies is not receiving one star from me is due to the character of Lauren. Lauren was apparently written by Sara Zarr, which bodes well for her books I have yet to read. Lauren was likable, believable and just generally a well-written character. Lauren also had a love interest that was likable and sweet, with the relationship coming across as genuine. Unfortunately EB was intolerable and her relationship issues weren't much better (think instalove). EB has an incredible amount of drama surrounding her, much of which I cannot help but think she brings upon herself considering her immature and tantrum-level responses to some of Lauren's emails. (Seriously EB, you TOLD Lauren where the fuck your father worked and yet you flip out on her for HIS actions? Are you kidding me?) She also had weird and concerning comments about whether Lauren may be black or if Lauren's boyfriend is black etc.. One, why does it matter and two, seriously?!

Overall too much angst (especially with EB) and frustration as a reader to enjoy this one. Had the story just been about Lauren I think the book may have been more successful.